The role of the ACMP UK Chapter Board
The ACMP UK Chapter Board of Directors (the ‘Board’) is the local governing authority of the ACMP UK Chapter, a certified affiliate of the Association of Change Management Professionals (‘ACMP Global’), and is responsible for directing, influencing, and monitoring the Chapter’s business.
The Board sets the tone for the Chapter, and directs the organisation’s future by developing policy and strategic direction. Governance is the way in which the Board exercises its authority, control, and direction over the Chapter. The Board carries out its governance role by developing and monitoring policies, through which the Board defines the parameters within which the Chapter will carry out its work. Work is organised through portfolios and committees that are overseen/managed by Board Directors who focus on the interpretation and implementation of policies. The Board has ultimate responsibility for the Chapter’s purpose, identity, continuity, and progress, and is accountable to the membership for the success of the Chapter.
For purposes of efficiency, the President oversees the day-to‐day business of the Chapter.
Leadership STRUCTURE AND CHARACTERISTICS
- Maintain a cabinet‐type structure where all Board Directors actively contribute based on their respective experience and skills, and as applicable, operate as advocates for their portfolio.
- Work from clearly communicated roles, responsibilities, and accountabilities.
- Govern by uncomplicated processes and structure, ensure a nimble infrastructure.
- Work towards less dependency on bureaucracy and policy and more use of trust.
- Encourage a free flow of responsible communication amongst the Board and between the Board and ACMP Global representatives.
- Maintain a strong and collaborative partnership with volunteers.
- Be respected and trusted by members; possess a reputation for proactive leadership.
- Operate by, and adhere to the ACMP Global Code of Ethics.
Standards of performance for Board Directors
The Board expects its Directors to carry out their duties in an ethical and professional manner, including proper use of authority. Meeting appropriate performance standards makes it possible to do the work of the Board in an efficient and effective way.
Performance standards expected for the Board Directors include:
- committing fully to their Board role, making every attempt to fulfill the responsibilities of the role and demonstrating loyalty to the Chapter and its membership, as well as ACMP Global
- dealing with the public, members, volunteers, and each other in a fair, ethical, and straight‐forward manner
- fostering collegial, positive working relationships among the Board, committee chairs, volunteers, and partners
- being prepared for, and actively participating in meetings or taking steps to enable momentum in absentia
- maintaining confidentiality of Board business
- developing appropriate records as required by each Board role
- completing an efficient and effective transition to role successors
- serving as an ambassador for the Chapter, maintaining a positive perception of the Chapter in dealings with the public whether in‐person or on‐line
- understanding of Chapter Policies and By‐laws and demonstrating behaviours in alignment with their intent.
Board positions typically require a minimum commitment of three (3) hours per week which includes:
- Board meetings held in locations within the greater UK area or virtually through a conference capability. In addition, the Board meets twice annually for a half day strategic planning workshop requiring full Board participation.
- Board Directors also attend Quarterly member meetings (one being designated the Annual General Meeting) and other occasional events as required for presentations, public relations, etc. Time estimates do not include any necessary prep time required for the noted meetings and are subject to change at the discretion of the Board.
- Board positions require a 1‐year commitment.
Board member role descriptions
A document detailing the role descriptions of ACMP UK Chapter Board members is available on request.